Christina aka @Sassychris1 goes around the world.
Not only a great photographer, she is also a great traveller and an amazing travel photographer.
I newly did a short interview with Christina, a great reading for all us dreaming of traveling the world. Finding out where her home is? How much gear it takes, how many days a year she is traveling the world.
Nikon Indonesia Official Partner
Copyright Christina Tan
Where is you home?
– Home is Jakarta, Indonesia.
What did you do before you started to travel the world?
– I worked in fashion industry, that involves manufacturing and trading.
How did you start to travel the world?
– World travel is part of my corporate life. It gets more intense when I quit the job and take photography.
How many days a year are you traveling?
– In average I travel 200 days in a year.
Maybe its hard to describe, but what’s a normal day in your traveling life like?
– In between flights, train and road trips, it’s normal to start as early as dawn, the time depends on each season, for blue hour and sunrise and early morning shots when the light is still good.
Followed by breakfast, where I’ll check my emails and messages.
During the day there will be meetings with the hotels I am working with, or scouting places for sunset if I was on my own trip.
It could be filled up with indoor photo session, or photo editing.
Sunset is a crucial time for me so I’ll get ready for it until blue hour. In summer it would be finished around 10 pm.
Any good tips for taking better photos while traveling?
– The key is to catch the best light, during sunrise and sunset.
Sunrise is the perfect time when there’s no one around you could take the photo without throngs of people.
Wich is the most beautiful place you visited and what made that place so great?
– There are too many beautiful places I couldn’t nominated one only but I always think Switzerland and Italy are my favorites. Switzerland is beautiful in every season, especially in the Alps during winter.
Italy has rugged, dramatic coastlines and charming villages.
Which gear do you use?
– Camera: Nikon mirrorless Z7
Nikkor Z 14-30mm f/4S
Nikkor Z 24-70mm f/4 S
Nikkor Z 24-70mm f/2.8S
Nikkor Z 35mm f/1.8S
Nikkor Z 50mm f/1.8S
AF-S NIKKOR 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II
Filter set: Nisi Filter – GND Soft and Hard, ND 6 stops and 10 stops
Tripod: Gitzo Traveler series
Bag: f-stop Kashmir
Drone: DJI Mavic Pro
Do you always edit photos while traveling?
– I carry my laptop so I can edit my photos and deliver the content on time to the brand I work with, otherwise there will be back log.
Do you got any tips to plan better journeys ?
– My trip is basically planned per season. The countries I go every season will be chosen based on the image I want to produce. For instance I’ll go to Greece and Bali in summer, Germany and Austria in Fall, Switzerland and Norway in winter, Italy in Spring.
How much clothing do you bring along on the travel, to always have nice outfits for shoots ?
– The clothes I bring is just enough for one week. I had it laundered every few days. Half of my suitcase is filled up with my gears. On top of that, I like to support the local economy by buying a few clothes on every places I go.
All images captured by Christina Tan.
Copyright Christina Tan